We’ve listed below in alphabetical order all the various functions our ingredients perform - from fragrances to preservatives, emulsifiers to solvents.
Use the letter links to easily navigate to each section.
- Removes dirt to leave surfaces clean or polished through rubbing/ brushing
- Helps to absorb fluids like water or oil
- Added to a product to improve one or more important properties
- Helps bind surfaces to each other
- Increases the alkalinity of the product to help in the washing away of dirt.
- Helps prevent the removed dirt in washing water from reattaching to a surface
- Helps to prevent the formation of lumps in the product.
- Helps to relieve or control the symptoms of dandruff
- Prevents excessive foam or bubbles forming when a product is used
- Helps to reduce the amount of bacteria on a surface or body (part)
- Helps to prevent reactions promoted by oxygen in the product, which can cause product spoilage.
- Helps to reduce sweating
- Helps to make you hair, skin, clothes, kitchen ware or hard surfaces feel better by reducing static charge
- Creates tightening or a tingling sensation on the skin
- Helps materials to bind or stick together
- Boosts the performance of bleach to make it more effective at low temperatures
- Becomes a bleaching substance during washing
- Ingredients from herbs, roots, flowers, fruits, leaves or seeds
- Maintains the right acidity / alkalinity balance of a product
- Reduces water hardness, makes cleaning products more effective
- Diluant. Dilutes solids or liquids to allow for more accurate dosing
- Colours the product, your hair or skin
- Provides a cool and fresh sensation
- Prevents corrosion of packaging
- Changes the taste of a product to prevent ingestion. Typically used in alcohol-containing products.
- Helps to reduce or mask unpleasant body odours
Dye Transfer Inhibitor
- Prevents colour rinsed out from clothes into wash water being deposited on to your other clothes during the wash
- Helps two or more liquids, that don't usually combine to form a single solution; often referred to as an 'emulsion'
- Prevents a mixture from separating and helping to increase a product's shelf life
- Boosts the cleaning properties of a product to help remove specific stains at lower temperatures e.g. fats, egg, blood.
- Makes an enzyme last longer in liquid detergent
- Helps to remove dead skin cells from the surface of your skin
Fabric Conditioner Agent
- Helps to soften and improve the feel of a fabric
- Helps provide a smooth, consistent coverage when applied
- Helps to maintain the hold of your hair style
- Improves the taste of oral or lip care products, such as tooth paste or lip balm
- Provides a distinctive, pleasant smell
Hair - Shaping/Styling Agent
- Helps you to style or straighten your hair
Hair Conditioning Agent
- Helps to improve the gloss, sheen and texture of your hair
- Helps to retain water in a product, in hair or the top layers of skin
- Allows cleaning agents to be uniformly dispersed within a product.
- Makes the product appear more opaque or pearly
- Provides additional brightness to the surface to which product is applied.
Oral Care Agent
- Helps to clean, protect or remove/cover an unpleasant smell in the mouth/teeth/gums
- In laundry and household care products stains are removed by oxidation (bleaching).
- Helps to give products a shimmery appearance
- Controls the acidity / alkalinity balance of products
- Makes materials more flexible and resilient
- This prolongs the shelf-life of the product, even once it has been opened, protecting it from bacteria, yeasts and moulds
- A secondary component/ingredient which is created when making the product
- A compressed gas that helps expel product from a can
- Helps prevent impurities from water from causing adverse effects on product performance, appearance, or stability.
Skin Conditioning Agent
- Helps to make your skin feel soft, smooth and supple.
- Helps to temporarily protect minor cuts, scrapes, burns or skin irritation
- Helps a product spread more easily
- Makes a softening agent more effective and last longer
- Helps an ingredient in the product dissolve better
- Dissolves substances or ingredients
- Helps maintain the stability of a product's formulation, appearance and texture
- Gives a product form or shape
- Helps to protect the skin and filter out harmful UV rays
- Changes the look and feel of an object's surface in home care products
- An ingredient which helps to clean or remove dirt and oil, creating foam when used with water
- Helps keep solids separated and evenly dispersed within a product
- Makes products taste sweeter
- Helps tablets break up so the product works faster
- Helps to protect the product formulation from UV rays
Viscosity Controlling Agent
- Controls the density or thickness of a product